Monday, February 22, 2010

Postmodern process

What is the theory of the post modern process and what does it mean?

I do not really have an answer to this discussion question mostly due to the fact that I do not understand the topic very well. I am not sure I follow what was being said in William's book or in Breuch's article. Focusing on what Williams wrote, I guess the part I got confused with is when the fact that meaning doesn't exist was brought up. It was said that words are not meant to mean anything and that meaning does not exist. This in turn leads to deconstructive reading. Obviously words literally do have meaning. They are our form of communication, the way we make sense of the world around us so what is meant by this. It is that in post modernism, things are left up to greater interpretation? That the reader is supposed to get from other authors writing pieces what they want to. But then the issue with that being the answer is that every author has a purpose for writing, so there is a point behind it whether the reader gets it or not. Then the Williams chapter begins discussing that postmodern theory does not "believe" in improving writers or differentiating between good and bad writing. Is this what we have been discussing in class regarding teachers never telling their students that they are wrong? For example the story Professor Martin told about a student's poem interpretation. I myself have an issue with this aspect of it, this may be due to the fact that I see things very black and white but I believe that there are wrong "answers" when it comes to writing. From Breuch's article I think I saw some parts of post modern in a better light, a better "spin" was put on things. From the article writing was shown as something that can not necessarily be taught. That writing is not knowledge that one person can just transfer to another, like math. Writing is something individual people have to experience and develop themselves. The method of writing(what we use as the three step process of writing) can not just be taught, followed and accomplished. Writing must be seen as an ongoing process.

No comments:

Post a Comment