Wednesday, February 24, 2010

alternative research

Do you agree or disagree with Davis and Shadle's stance on research papers? If you agree how might you implement it in your future classroom? If you disagree explain why.

I thought Davis and Shadle brought up many good points that I had never even considered when it came to research papers.When I think of research papers I think of a long article in which I will not understand (or will have to spend a considerable amount of time deciphering), written by a person in the academic world. We are taught in schools that there is one way to do a research paper. It is hard, time consuming, very specific, and something to be dreaded. Davis not only shows that there are different ways to write a research paper but shows why the way we do it now is poor and gives a better alternative. I agree with the article that the way things are done now are understandably necessary but I also agree that it limits writers. You can only go so far when you are taught to do something one specific way. The ideas and examples given on alternative research papers, to me, were great. I loved the ideas because they are able to expand a student's creativity, exploration, excitement about learning, and teaches that there is more than one way to do something. Alternatives show students that research papers are not something to be dreaded. That finding information can be interesting and expand your product into something great. I also loved the concept of research being through the experiences you have had.

I think that this would be a great tool for the classroom. If I were to do this "activity" in my classroom I think I would make it into a unit, an ongoing project. I would bring into my classroom as many resources as possible, resources for finding answers (computers, books, etc) and resources for exploration (anything from sensory tables, plants, animals, etc. anything to get the kids thinking/wondering). This would encourage the kids to ask questions and do the work themselves in order to find the answers. I would allow them to form their own project whatever it might be (paper, video, interview, etc) and form their own questions and such. I believe that for the children to truly be engaged they have to be interested and excited about the topic.

No comments:

Post a Comment